Sri Lanka is a great island for enjoying a honeymoon as a newlywed couple as you could enjoy a range of different experiences depending on the type of tour which you would like to have as a couple. In this series we shall dive into some of the major attractions which Sri Lanka has to offer which would appeal for newlyweds to enjoy a halal honeymoon experience.
1. Coastal experience – Bentota is a town situated in the Southern province of the country and offers many amazing water sports activities, beautiful beaches and for a romantic getaway it also has an amazing view of the bentota river meeting the sea. The palm fringed beaches and the breathtaking view of the Bentota river merging with the sea is not only a beautiful experience but it also gives complete privacy for one to enjoy a romantic night out. A couple of kilometres away from Bentota one could also get to Mirissa where you could enjoy an amazing dolphin and whale watching experience.
2. Wildlife experience – If you are seeking a more wildlife themed experience, then Tangalle is a great spot for a honeymoon as you not only get great villas and hotels but also get to experience spectacular mangrove lined lagoons with pristine sandy beaches. There are several national parks also situated nearby so you could complete your wildlife experience. Another great spot to see is along the Rekawa beaches where you could find giant turtles coming to the short at night to lay their eggs. Another great place to visit to complete the wildlife excursion is at Yala National Park where you could find leopards and other wild animals and birds. However it should be noted that Yala National Park is closed during the months of September and October each year, so if you do plan to visit this place you need to take this into consideration as well.
3. Pristine beaches – One of the most beautiful beaches in the country could be found in the Eastern province in Trincomalee where you could even find random deers roaming along in the streets. Nilaveli and Uppuveli are two lovely white sandy beaches in the area which offer beautiful views of the surroundings. Trincomalee is also famous for his hot water wells in Kinniya and the rock pigeon breeding grounds.
4. Relaxation in cooler areas – Ella is a great honeymoon destination if you would enjoy a lovely time out on a train to view the 9-arch bridge at sunset amidst beautiful tea plantations and jungle canopies. Located in the same province you could also complete your stay in cooler pastures by visiting, “Little England” as it was known during the colonial era or Nuwara Eliya as its known today. Here you could find beautiful green slopes with red brick houses and clubs with great hotels which offer an amazing romantic experience.
5. Hot air ballooning – Habarana is a lovely spot for you to experience hot air balloon rides in Sri Lanka and compliment it with a jungle safari experience at Minneriya National park and a bullock cart ride in the local village. The habarana lake also offers kayaking which would complete your honeymoon experience if you are seeking a bit of time on water.
6. Trailing in rain forests – Sinharaja is a rainforest where you could explore the wilderness on foot for around 25 kilometers and experience its astounding biodiversity, birds and aquatic life which would certainly appeal to an energetic couple. Sinharaja rain forest is even declared as a world heritage site and also offers camping facilities inside for you to relax and enjoy a romantic honeymoon together in the jungles.
These are just some of the major attractions which Sri Lanka has to offer to a newlywed Muslim couple to enjoy their honeymoon together, so let us know if these are the sorts of experiences which you expect for your honeymoon in the comments below.